Released: 30 July 2008
Developer : Natomic Studios
The Spirit Engine 2 is a two-dimensional, side-scrolling indie RPG drawn, programmed and written by Mark Pay with music by Josh Whelchel. The title is an improved spiritual sequel to The Spirit Engine, a freeware 2D RPG released in 2003.
Outside of combat, the player can move the party along sidescrolling levels, speaking to NPCsand obtaining missions, purchasing or selling items to equip on characters, and moving between areas. Enemy encounters are not random, although enemy type is sometimes randomized. Special statues function as save points.
The Spirit Engine 2’s battle system takes place in real time, and characters attack automatically. Battle speed may be sped up, slowed down, or paused. The game removes the mana mechanic of The Spirit Engine that allowed for a limited number of attacks before needing to recharge, and players’ actions can be paused to build up extra attack power or wait for an opening. The two teams form lines on either side of the screen. On one side is the player’s three characters, on the other side are the enemies currently being fought.
- An extensive plot spanning nine distinct chapters. History is unravelling in the once peaceful state of Lereftain. Murderous cults are running unchecked through the streets, parliament is bickering, tension is building with old enemies in the west and the country’s inhuman rulers seem to be losing control of the situation. Three citizens who find their paths crossing in an act of charity one dark night will find themselves burdened with the responsibilty of not only defending the nation but deciding whether to save civilisation as they know it.
- All new and improved original graphics. Simple yet effective new effects, including parallax scrolling and screen-shake.
- The introduction of something sorely missing from the original – difficulty levels! Play at a level to suit you and either lock it there or feel free to change it as and when you like.
- An improved real-time combat system which builds upon the simplicity of the original. With an improved interface, greater control over characters, combat speed options and action synchronisation controls to make battles more tactical and more fun.
- New game combat mechanics such as automatic character recovery, party chains and combination strike damage bonuses.
- New, varied character skills to play with, including targetted attacks and debuffs, and a whole host of crafty, unfriendly creatures to use them on.
- A vast stock of equipable items with new abilities.
Minimum System Requirements:
Processor: 2 GHz single core CPU
Memory: 1.2 GB of RAM
The Spirit Engine 2 Screenshots
The Spirit Engine 2 Videos