Released: 27 March 2010
Version: 2.1.0 (8 July 2014)
License: GNU GPL
Developer : The Speed Dreams Team
Speed Dreams, often shortened to SD and formerly known as Torcs-NG, is a free and open source 3D racing video game for Linux, Microsoft Windows, AmigaOS 4, AROS,MorphOS and Haiku. Started in 2008 as a fork of the racing car simulator TORCS, it is mainly written in C++ and released under GPL v2+ and Free Art License, the most recent release being version 2.1 of July 2014.
The development of an accurate driving behaviour, with different physics engines available, sets the project among the few open source racing simulation codebases.
Speed Dreams can be played with a variety of input devices, including keyboards, mouses, joypads, joysticks, racing wheels and pedals.
Speed Dreams is a fork of the open racing car simulator Torcs, aiming to implement exciting new features, cars, tracks and AI opponents to make a more enjoyable game for the player, as well as constantly improving visual and physics realism.
The current official release features :
- visually reworked menus by Brian Gavin, Eckhard M. Jäger, Andrew Sumner and Jean-Philippe Meuret,
- 3 amazing fine tuned and balanced new car sets by Andrew Sumner and Haruna Say:Super Cars, 36 GP and LS-GT1,
- an updated TRB1 car set (well balanced, more realistic behaviour),
- 3 exciting new tracks and many visually improved ones,
- smashing liveries for all these cars, by Eckhard M. Jaeger and Haruna Say,
- 2 new TRB first-class robot for the Supercars, 36 GP and TRB1 car sets :USR by Andrew Sumner and Simplix by Wolf-Dieter Beelitz (at last real AI opponents !),
- animated driver by Andrew Sumner on 36GP cars, 3D wheels for all cars by Eric Espie,
- 2 new leader-board modes by Gabor Kmetyko, smoke on spinning tires by Andrew Sumner,
- brand new gauges by Eckhard M. Jaeger, and many many other small visual improvements,
- experimental Simu V3 physics engine by Christos Dimitrakakis,
- many menu improvements (support for grid shifting, optimized track select load time,category filter when selecting driver, more infos in results and standings boards),
and much more …
Minimum System Requirements:
Processor: 500 MHz
Memory: 128 MB of RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 1.3 with 32 MB video RAM
Hard Drive: 1.5 GB free space
Speed Dreams Screenshots
Speed Dreams Videos